10-Miler and 20-Miler
C&O Canal Towpath
Sunday, September 15, 2013 @ 8:00 AM
Why is the race called, "Revenge of the Penguins?"
Thank you to everyone who participated in the Race, it was a great success !!!
Results now available on the MCC Results page.
Download the Runners Welcome Letter for important Car Pool and Race Day information.
Update 8/16/2013: Race is 85% full and expected to be filled by end of August. A nicely embroidered wind jacket is guaranteed if you register by Aug 25th.
Update 6/6/2013: Please note that we have updated the 10 and 20 mile routes. You can view the maps under the Course section below. Please also note that the starting location has changed from Georgetown to Carderock Recreation Area. For more information, please see the Directions to Start/Finish section below. A final note, the race start time has changed from 9 AM ET to 8 AM ET.
- C&O Canal Towpath, Carderock Recreation Area, Clara Barton Parkway, Carderock MD between Mile post 10 and Mile post 11 and finishes at the same place.
- On the historic C&O Canal Towpath from Carderock Recreation Area, Clara Barton Parkway, Carderock MD between Mile post 2.5 & Mile post 12.5.
- Flat, shady, tree-lined, with scenic riverside vistas - the course you always dreamed about!
- A low-key, low-stress practice race for anyone training for a marathon, half marathon, or for anyone that just wants the challenge. We provide course support and electronic timing.
- A nicely embroidered wind jacket will be provided to the first 250 registrants or any runner who registers by Aug 25th.
- Saturday, September 14, 2:00 PM -5:00 PM, at Georgetown Running Company, 3401 M Street NW, Washington DC (202-337-8626)
- Sunday, September 15, 6:00 AM -7:45 AM, on site at C&O Canal Tow Path, Carderock Recreation Area, Clara Barton Parkway, Carderock, MD.
- You may pick up your bib number and wind jacket on Saturday or Sunday, but you will only be able to pick your IPICO timing tag up on Sunday, so please allow time before the race.
Directions to Start/Finish
- C&O Canal Tow Path, Carderock Recreation Area, Clara Barton Parkway, Carderock, MD can be found at the following links: Text Version or Google Maps
- Limited parking is available in the parking area.
- On the historic C&O Canal Tow path, Carderock Recreation Area, Clara Barton Parkway, Carderock, MD starts near Mile 10.5 and West to Mile post 12.5 and East to Mile post 2.5 for 20 mile and Mile post 7.5 for 10 Mile runs and turn West to the same place where the race was started.
- 10 Mile Course Map and 20 Mile Course Map
- 10 Mile Course MAP (jpeg)
- 20 Mile Course MAP (jpeg)
- Five aid stations along the course.
- 10 Mile runners pass aid stations four times.
- 20 Miler pass aid stations nine times (approximately every two miles).
- Each aid station has water and Gatorade.
- First aid, course marshals, and bike support on the course as well.
- If you require medical assistance, or if you cannot finish the race, please contact the closest aid station or course marshal.
- Per USATF rules, scoring is based on clock time, not net time. If you expect to win an award, please seed yourself toward the front.
- This unique out-and-back course runs through one of the area's first environmentally-protected zones, dating back to the 1830's.
- Watch for deer and other wildlife at dawn.
- The C&O Canal for its entire 183-mile length is a swath of green amidst urban development.
- The race course is a narrow (12-foot) wide unpaved trail, entirely flat, and runs past 150-year-old locks and gatehouses.
- We offer water and aid stations at the locks roughly every two miles.
- We share the course with other users and bicyclists, so stay to the right.
- Assisted by Marathon Charity Cooperation's partner charities and affiliated running clubs.
- Updated Headphone Policy
- Updated Stroller Policy
- After the race, enjoy our post-race food and entertainment.
Carpool and Earn $25!!!
- Potomac River Running is sponsoring a "green" initiative in support of the race. Since parking at Carderock Recreation Area is limited, MCC is providing a priority service for runners who carpool to the race.
- Any registered runner who arrives at the race in a car with at least two other registered runners will receive a reserved parking space and each registered runner in the car will receive a $25 gift certificate to Potomac River Running for use at one of their nine local stores.
- To be eligible, you must be a registered runner for the race AND you must reserve your parking spot by sending a message to firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight on Wednesday, September 10th. Please include the name of all the runners who will be in your car.
- Just arrive at the race before 7:00 AM on race day with two other registered runners in your car and you will be ushered to your reserved parking space AND each registered runner in your car will be handed a $25 gift certificate to Potomac River Running.